Over deze locatie

The Oranjekamer wants to show the historical connection between Sint-Maartensdijk and the House of Orange and what preceded it. In the museum there is a presentation about the origins of Sint-Maartensdijk in the early Middle Ages and the construction of the castle. What starts as a farm on a mountain of flies grows into a distinguished castle. Frank van Borssele and Jacoba van Beieren, illustrious inhabitants of the castle in the 15th century. In 1549, the possessions came into the hands of the Oranges. In 1625, when Frederik Hendrik Heer van Sint-Maartensdijk became Lord of Sint-Maartensdijk, the town hall and castle were thoroughly rebuilt and expanded. The presentation shows how extensive the castle was at that time. In the glory days the keep and knights' hall existed, as well as the outer castle with stud farm, brewery, chapel, bakery and of course the main gate. In 1818 the castle was demolished, only the moat is still visible on the outskirts of the village.

Archaeological excavations to the castle were carried out between 1965 and 1968. In the exhibition you can see some images of this. The name Oranje is still closely linked to Sint-Maartensdijk. Many princes, queens, princes and princesses from the House of Orange bore the name of Lord or Lady of Sint-Maartensdijk and Scherpenisse, just like our king. In the course of time there have been many royal visits to the narrow city, sometimes for joy but also for mourning. A good example is the festive visit in 1924 of Queen Wilhelmina, Prince Hendrik and Princess Juliana. For many, Queen's Day 1996 is still fresh in the memory.

Contactgegevens & Openingstijden



Markt 5
4695 CE

Bekijk route