About this location
In the 18th century, the Catholic Church, which stood on the north side of the Oude Haven, turned out to be far too small. The city council gave permission for the construction of a new church building on the corner of Paardenstraat and Hoge Molenstraat. The new church was inaugurated on 8 May 1768. From the outside it hardly looked like a place of worship. That would have been one of the conditions for granting permission by the city council. In 1841/1842 the building was rebuilt. In 1841/1842 the building was rebuilt and the current facade was added, making it a church from the outside as well. In 1937 another major renovation followed. It was put into use in 1964.