About this location
The coat of arms of J.W. van Rosevelt (circa 1770), possibly related to the American presidential family Roosevelt, hangs in the Craftsman's House.
A Craftsman's House was a territory with its own administration and its own (lower) jurisdiction, which in Zeeland often had to be conquered from the sea. The Craftsman's House was built in 1767 for the administration of the Oud- en Nieuw-Vossemeer and Vrijberghe.
In 2003, the building was still used for the storage of the archive, which goes back a long way, and the annual meetings of the board of directors of the Craftsmen's Lordship, which was converted into a N.V. in 1935. At that time it was probably the only artisan mansion in the Netherlands, still in use as such.