Five reasons why you must go shopping in Zeeland!
Written by: Shanna Bozuwa
For the ultimate shopping experience we often head to large towns like Amsterdam, Antwerp and Rotterdam. But, you know, you have fantastic options right here in Zeeland too! It’s just that here you don’t have to pay 25 euros for a day’s parking and you can take special discoveries home with you. Find out the five reasons why you’ll soon be off shopping in Zeeland!
1. Haute couture in GoesGoes is rightfully known as the shopping capital of Zeeland! It hosts the annual Goes Couture event, an international red-carpet catwalk where famous couturiers display their latest designs. Alongside this, the town has more than 300 sales outlets, both chain stores and bijou boutiques where you’ll find the best brands.
We recommend these shopping tips for Goes: AtMo conceptstore, Bubbles theme store, BoMont, Delscher and Dzjeenie (second-hand designer clothes!). And as fun tips for a drink or a snack in between? Visit Jardin Ontbijt & Lunch, Missie Applepie, De Brass Goes, Kale & De Bril or de Bodego Kookclub (Spanish with a dash of Zeeuws!).
2. Picking up pearls in MiddelburgIn Middelburg you can easily spend a weekend just shopping. There’s such a wealth of great shops to visit, hunting for cool outfits, living accessories or local food produce to take home. Our favourites in Middelburg are Lievelings, De Drvkkery, Wit & Zo, Moois & Meer (sustainable clothes!), Sebastiaan den Herder and Plantaardig (for the ultimate in plant shopping). For a smart break, you’d best head for the ‘Flying Hart’ (’t Vliegendt Hert) wine bar, the Basalt restaurant, De Herberg (best terrace!), Zanzibar and Fromagerie Forianne (a must for lunch!).
3. Sustainable shopping is hot in Zeeland
Today there’s growing concern about sustainability. People choose to buy clothing and other items which have been produced sustainably or will be recycled. In Zeeland there are many shops which emphasize their role in this. Check them out at MienDomus in Zierikzee, Speelwoud in Vlissingen, Zussies and The Blind Spot in Goes or FairtradeUpgrade in Kamperland. There are regular second-hand markets in Zeeland. Check the dates
4. Vintage shopping in Zuid-BevelandYou’ll find the best vintage pearls in Zeeland, with countless shops for antiques, brocante (flea market) and vintage items. And there are so many of them that it’s hard to work out the best route. Some ideas: De Wirwar in Ijzendijke, Sold Antiques in Schoondijke, Indistrieel in Middelburg and Huis de Baerse in Goes.
Zuid-Beveland has made a real fun journey of vintage shopping. Twice a year, in April and October, they organise a great vintage shopping route known as the Bijzondere Route Zuid-Beveland. You to get to know the island and to go past some 25 shops chock-a-block with brocante (flea market stuff), antiques, local produce and national living accessories. It doesn’t get any better!
5. Jetset style shopping in Zeeuws-VlaanderenThe brilliant thing about Zeeland is that you can immediately combine shopping with a visit to the beach and a glorious terrace. Do this in perfect mode in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen. Cadzand is the sophisticated seaside town of Zeeland while Sluis is also well-known for its joie-de-vivre ambience – and its many shops. No wonder these spots are so popular with our neighbours from south of the border. Some tips for shops in Sluis? Be sure to go to Fleur Essence of Style, BoMont, Bubbles and Inka’s! And while you’re in this lovely place, here are our tips for food and beverage in Sluis and Cadzand: Pure-C, RUIG beach pavilion, BARSA en Ecluse.
Well, what are you waiting for?Come on! Start packing those empty bags and plan your next trip to Zeeland!
Ps. All the tips given above are just a selection of personal preferences. There are obviously many more shops, so we suggest you browse the shopping pages of Middelburg, Goes, and Sluis.