About this location
The dome is originally a sheltered watchtower. In war years, a 'land watch' was set up to detect approaching enemy ships in time to prevent a possible landing. Such a watchtower was also called a guardhouse or a Sentinel. As early as 1598, the Committed Councils of Zeeland established a 'land watch'. Even in the First World War, the dome still served as a lookout post. In 2000 the dome was destroyed by fire. In 2001 it was rebuilt on behalf of the Renesse Foundation.
In July 2009 the dome burned down again and was refurbished in December 2009. When the dome burned down again in April 2011 it was delivered again in November 2011, but now with a zinc roof.