Stavenisse is first mentioned on an early 13th-century certificate, which refers to it as an island. The village came later, in the 17th century, typified by a so-called ‘main-street’ village layout along the main street: this runs directly from the harbour to the church.
The Stavenisse harbour head is the location of the former town hall, the place where hundreds of people found a safe haven during the 1953 Flood. Now, there is an information centre on the Flood, called Watersnoodhuis Stavenisse, in that very same building.
The Flood hit the village hard, 153 souls lost their lives. Just beyond the village, on the road to Sint Maartensdijk, is a monument commemorating that fateful night.
Beside the Bos, or woods, are the remnants of a castle, which was built here in the mid-1600s by commission of Hieronymus van Tuyll van Serooskerke, a local noble. After it was sold in 1753, it was demolished, though a flower and vegetable garden was laid down in the castle grounds.